muckyman.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

muckyman.co.uk

HomeRegisterLog in
Help my beer fund
Latest topics
» G4 Geomagentic Storm In Progress March 24th 2024!
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2024 10:08 pm by CANNER

» Meta Quest 3 Review
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 3:02 pm by CANNER

» SpaceX Starship 3 reentry fail
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2024 2:52 pm by CANNER

» FlowState: The FPV Drone Documentary (Full Film Official Release)
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2024 10:32 pm by CANNER

» Bird tells cat to shut up!
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2024 3:29 pm by CANNER

» Unitree Released B2 | Unitree H1 Humanoid Robot
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2024 3:19 pm by CANNER

» Inside China's Disturbing Death Vans
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2024 3:07 pm by CANNER

» LIVE! NASA IM-1 Lunar Lander Tracker
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 3:32 pm by CANNER

» First Drone Flight With Apple Vision Pro - A Totally Different Experience
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 10:09 pm by CANNER

» Sustained red purple aurora and glowing clouds at night!
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2024 3:03 pm by CANNER

» Live from Iceland Volcano
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2024 2:27 pm by CANNER

» How Screwed Are We? - This is Way Worse than I Thought
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 3:36 pm by CANNER

Top posters
CANNER
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_vote_lcapUlster accent. Pretty interesting. I_voting_barUlster accent. Pretty interesting. I_vote_rcap 
muckyman
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_vote_lcapUlster accent. Pretty interesting. I_voting_barUlster accent. Pretty interesting. I_vote_rcap 
sengoksa
cujoway
dorito777
_KLEO_
Firsty
PapaLazarou
2litre
Sinsinety
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
2litre
quake God
quake God
2litre

Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. Empty
PostSubject: Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.   Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Americans! Learn how the language is spoken!
Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. LWrZYLY
Back to top Go down
2litre
quake God
quake God
2litre

PostSubject: Re: Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.   Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 11:19 pm

Need stuff like:
Fancy a dander? 
Hell dare ya!
Wha ir yae?
'A cannae explain maesel, A’m feart, Sir,” said Alice, “baecaas A’m naw maesel, yae see.'
Back to top Go down
muckyman
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.   Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 10:55 am

Pikeys.. Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. 287123

NuclearDiarrhea
quake God
quake God
NuclearDiarrhea

PostSubject: Re: Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.   Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 10:46 pm

Interesting accent lol Very Happy

To go along with another accent, I was wondering the other day how we got the common "Pirate" accent. Like when you imitate a pirate, you know how to talk like one. But WHERE did this cliche come from?? I always thought it was Irish sounding but I had to look it up for myself. This is what I found:

(From http://dialectblog.com/2011/05/24/pirate-accent/)

Ask people to imitate a pirate, and they instinctually adopt the “pirate accent” immortalized in film and television. This unique brogue is renowned for it’s strong “r” sound, as in “yarrr” and “arrrrr.”

Pirate imitators may wonder, “What accent am I doing? Some kinda Irish?”

The classic “pirate dialect,” in fact, is not Irish, but rather a crude imitation of the slightly similar West Country English (the dialects of Southwest England)*. Why do fictional pirates always speak in this accent? Here’s the standard explanation: During the Golden Age of Piracy, in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, many English pirates came from this region. Look up famous seadogs from the era, and you’ll find birthplaces in Bristol, Devon, and Cornwall. Mystery solved, right?

Not so fast. The golden age of piracy ended by the mid-eighteenth century. How can we collectively remember how these men spoke? And how can everyday people approximate the accent of 18th-century English pirates with such surprising verisimilitude?

I can only think of one explanation. At some point in time, some actor must have needed to play one of these pirates. Upon discovering that his pirate character was from the West Country, he decided to use the appropriate accent. And somehow this convention must have spread.

But where, and when, did this convention originate? My experience suggests the pirate brogue emerged as a dramatic staple in the 20th-Century. As a child, I was a huge fan of early pirate flicks like Treasure Island (1934) and Errol Flynn’s Captain Blood, and I don’t recall any West Country accents in those films. So perhaps it was a later phenomenon.

With this in mind, I decided to do some research on the matter. I think I may have stumbled upon a possible culprit for the Pirate accent, thanks to the website of Bonaventure, a British maritime re-enactment group:

Quote :
Long John Silver lived in Bristol, England, supposedly the birthplace of Edward Teach, Blackbeard. In the early 1950s Disney produced films of “Treasure Island” (1950) and “Blackbeard the Pirate”(1952), and the same actor was used to play Silver and Teach – Robert Newton. Newton then reprised his role of Long John Silver for “Long John Silver” (1954) and the TV series “The adventures of Long John Silver (1955). Robert Newton was born and raised in Dorset, not far from Bristol, so he knew the West Country accent which Silver and Teach would have spoken in very well, and used it in those films.
If Disney had perhaps not cast Newton, is it possible the pirate accent would have never entered the popular consciousness?

As usual, I welcome alternate theories.
Back to top Go down
http://www.soundcloud.com/danschreib
CANNER
CANNER

PostSubject: Re: Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.   Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 10:38 am

Nice read.Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. Aar

Modernday pirates talk french, but that sounds a lot less piraty. Suspect
Back to top Go down
NuclearDiarrhea
quake God
quake God
NuclearDiarrhea

PostSubject: Re: Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.   Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2015 1:14 am

Hehe. I don't know how pirates are imitated in Europe, but over here we tend to use this sort of rough Irish accent when imitating them. Language is really interesting. I came across this also yesterday. I never knew this language existed:
Back to top Go down
CANNER
CANNER

PostSubject: Re: Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.   Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Seen a documentary about that whistling language on Discovery once. Quite funny, though might be a bit awkward in the local supermarket. And would a bird ever try to join in on the whisteling conversation. Surprised 

Here in Europe we also use the classic pirate voice for imitating a pirate. In fact it is used so much you'ld almost forget there are also other countries with pirates that don't speak english. With modernday pirates I was referring to these guys:

Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. Phillips_pirates.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge
Back to top Go down
NuclearDiarrhea
quake God
quake God
NuclearDiarrhea

PostSubject: Re: Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.   Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2015 10:52 pm

Ahh yeah the Somalian pirates! That is one pathetic ship!

lol!
Back to top Go down
2litre
quake God
quake God
2litre

PostSubject: Re: Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.   Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 1:48 pm

very ulstersh, very yankee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.   Ulster accent. Pretty interesting. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ulster accent. Pretty interesting.
Page 1 of 1