muckyman.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

muckyman.co.uk

HomeRegisterLog in
Help my beer fund
Latest topics
» Multiple solarstorms heading for Earth
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:29 pm by CANNER

» Festo BionicBee
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:28 pm by CANNER

» MASSIVE Water 'Disturbance' DEEP in Southern Hemisphere of Earth!
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 2:22 pm by CANNER

» Motion Extraction - Video Effect
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 9:14 pm by CANNER

» Global Auroras Light Up Mars!
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:27 pm by CANNER

» Bird tells cat to shut up!
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 2:05 pm by CANNER

» Jetson ONE - eVTOL Formation Flight Performance
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2024 9:11 pm by CANNER

» All New Atlas | Boston Dynamics
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 1:37 pm by CANNER

» Kerry Cassidy - Robert Stanley
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2024 8:41 pm by CANNER

» April 4th 2024 Peru Press Conference - Tridactyl Mummies - ENGLISH
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2024 1:44 pm by CANNER

» LIVE - Solar Eclipse April 8, 2024
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2024 9:30 pm by CANNER

» 2015 | Outremer 5X | For Sale With 36° Brokers
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2024 2:42 pm by CANNER

Top posters
CANNER
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_vote_lcapNew Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_voting_barNew Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_vote_rcap 
muckyman
New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_vote_lcapNew Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_voting_barNew Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_vote_rcap 
sengoksa
cujoway
dorito777
_KLEO_
Firsty
PapaLazarou
2litre
Sinsinety
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
muckyman
Admin
Admin

New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 Empty
PostSubject: New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7   New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 11:20 am

As a warning, it’s not all that dire, but it is a wake-up call for Windows XP users--newer hardware just might make your XP life a bit less comfortable. In this case, hard drives coming out starting January 2011 will have a new formatting standard that will make them less compatible with XP, and will result in performance slowdowns.

It’s a change that makes sense, and is probably long overdue. The current formatting standard for hard drives is a legacy from floppy disks--formatting in blocks of 512 bytes. This makes for a lot of wasted hard drive space, when error correction and block gaps are tallied in. Given the amount of space that can be wasted on a 1TB drive with 512 byte blocks, it’s time for a change.

The new standard, promulgated by the International Disk Drive Equipment and Materials Association (Idema), which all hard drive makers have committed to adopting, is a 4K block. Besides an eight-fold reduction of the amount of unused space, this standard doubles the amount of error correction per block. Hard drive makers can squeeze out more storage capacity on the same size hardware. Steve Perkins, a technical consultant for Western Digital, estimates the format to be about 7 percent to 11 percent more efficient.

Windows 7 (and Vista), along with Apple’s Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard versions of OS X, and all builds of Linux released after September 2009 are 4K aware--they can handle the new formatting standard, no problem. But XP can’t. It’s stuck, permanently, in the 512 byte block world. Hard drive manufacturers know this, so they have built in emulation for the 512 byte block size. The emulation, however, can result in slower performance. David Burks of Seagate anticipates a 10% drop in performance for XP users.

It’s not a big hit, to be sure, but it is a start. With hardware development on-going, and XP frozen in time, it’s not a matter of if XP will become obsolete, but when. That day, to the possible chagrin of some XP users, may be sooner than they'd like.

Firsty
Firsty

New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7   New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 pm

I set up a dual boot on my laptop so i can boot in xp or vista...tbh i do prefer xp but i never boot into it now.
Back to top Go down

New Hard Drives May Force XP Users to Upgrade to 7
Page 1 of 1